Inside: I make this chicken sausage bowl almost every weekend. It’s healthy, super quick and always flavorful!
Looking for a quick lunch or dinner that takes no effort but tastes delicious?
I am always on the hunt for a 5-ingredient meal that actually tastes good. Not all easy recipes are created equal!
After a bit of experimenting, I found this chicken sausage bowl hits it out of the park for me. It’s super tasty, relatively healthy and quick.
At first I made this bowl for a quick weeknight dinner, but lately I’ve been whipping up a batch on the weekends so I have a healthy lunch that I can easily microwave later.
The meal is so flavorful, I don’t miss the potato chips or sandwichs I grew up with.
The protein: Go into almost any super market and you can find a nice selection of chicken sausage. I have a sweet tooth so I choose the Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage from Trader Joe’s. I also love Spicy Italian. The flavor of your chicken sausage is the key to the flavor of your dish, so choose wisely.
All the chicken sausage links I buy are pre-cooked, which makes this protein even more magical. I rarely see chicken sausage that hasn’t been cooked, but it’s worth checking.
The veggies: The great thing about stir-fries and bowls is that you can get away with using frozen vegetables and your meal still tastes great. Although I only use fresh vegetables when I am adding greens. Here are some of my favorite vegetables to add:
- Frozen red, green and yellow peppers
- Kale or Spinach
- Baby Tomatoes
- Frozen broccoli
The grain: I usually add leftover rice from the week, as long as it’s still good. If I don’t have rice, I whip up some rotini noodles, which with this shortcut only takes on 10 minutes to make. Lentils work great too, although they are not grains.
The fat: I love cooking with an infused grapeseed oil, like garlic or lemon. Coconut oil works great too, but you can use whatever oil you have on hand.
- 1 pack of chicken sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1-2 cups of vegetables (frozen or fresh)
- 2 cups of pasta or rice
- 1-2 tablespoon of oil (grapeseed, coconut or other)
- 1 clove garlic
1. Start pasta or rice, if you don’t have any leftovers in your fridge. If using frozen veggies, throw them in the microwave until mostly thawed (2-4 minutes).
2. Warm skillet on medium with oil, and add garlic. I love this frozen garlic — it saves so much time!
3. Add sliced chicken sausage to the skillet and cook until browned. Then add your vegetables. Add extra oil if needed, especially if you are cooking fresh greens like spinach.
4. Cook until vegetables are done. Serve on top of rice or pasta.
I love stir-fries and bowls because of their simplicity and flexibility. You can make a variety of dishes by just raiding your refrigerator or freezer and eating what you have on hand.
Now that I’ve shared the basics, here is my favorite flavor combination:
- Trader Joe’s Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage
- Baby tomatoes (this is key for flavor)
- Baby spinach leaves (to make it even healthier)
- Leftover or frozen rice
- Coconut oil
Here’s to an easy, healthy and satisfying meal!